Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Are we really as free as we think?

So I have been rolling around the idea for this entry for some time. Thinking about how free we really are. And saying to myself wow, how free we ARE NOT. Birth,vaxing,breastfeeding,home schooling, choosing whether or not to take your kids to the doctor are all examples of how we really are not free.
Birth: Many places you can not birth where you want. Many states still have legislation against home birth midwives and birth centers. If your in the hospital you don't have any say in YOUR own care. You get a blanket consent form to sign(and most women don't even know that's what they are signing) that gives them the "right" to do and give you anything since they already have your consent they don't really have to tell you. If you don't play the good patient and go along with what they want you to do then here comes the bullying and scare tactics. If that doesn't work then they can even go as far as involving DHS, having your kids taken away and getting a court order to FORCE you to do what THEY want. Here is a link to mom who LOST HER BABY due to not consenting to an UNNEEDED c/section. She ended up having baby, vaginally with no complications and healthy mom AND BABY, and she still lost her child. Where then is her FREEDOM to CHOOSE her own care???
Vaxing: There are very few states where parents can opt out of vaxing their kids and still have them in school. There are many states where unless there is a medical contraindication. So in order for your kids to go to school they HAVE to basically be poisened again the parents wishes. How then are you FREE to CHOOSE how to care for your child?
Breastfeeding: There are still states where breastfeeding in public is still not protected. Moms getting arrested, harassed and embarrassed for feeding their child!
Home schooling: More and more parents are choosing to home school their children and I for one do not blame them. If I could do it I would in a heart beat. With the way school are I would rather teach them myself. For those who can and do teach their kids there is always the unsupervised DHS/DYFC/CPS what ever they are called that can swoop in and getcha for home schooling, saying your kids are not meeting the so called standard. I have heard many home schooling moms talk about how they keep very in detail diaries about everything they do so they they will have evidence to back them up in case DHS gets bored and comes after them.Again are we really FREE to CHOOSE what and how our kids learn, Nope.
Doctors and medical care for your kids: Now this one is a little more grey area kind of. I personally have fallen victim to DHS for not taking my kids in for well baby/child checks. All of my kids are healthy and when sick or when its NEEDED my kids are seen by a doctor. But I got dinged for not taking them in for their check ups???WHAT!! There is no LAW that requires it and its against what I believe so again how am I FREE to CHOOSE when to take them in. Another story that has been in the news OK since when does a JUDGE(if in fact it is a real judge and not what I got called a Referee) to decide what a person wants or what a family has decided as what is best for them. At 13 years old in any state he would be old enough to choose what parent he wanted to live with, get condoms or BC(if her were a she), choose to have baby ect but now he is too young to make up his OWN mind about chemo? I know even at my age chemo scares the crap outta me and I probably wouldn't want to do it either but they can FORCE him to?
I do not hate the US, far from it. I just think they are getting further and further away from where we should be. They don't feel they have to right to tell a women what to do with her body when it comes to whether or not they can choose to have an abortion but THEY can choose FOR US how we birth and raise them?? So much for smaller government, all I see is it getting bigger and bigger. Giving away all the power to DHS and striping parents constitutional rights away. Ripping families apart. Man I hope Obama gets his shit together on this one.

1 comment:

Angie Himes said...

Check out www.parentalrights.org This ammendment will be crucial for us to keep our authority over our children and not the state.