Saturday, January 5, 2008

Reading like a mad woman!

Hey all sorry I haven't posted anything new in a while I have been without Internet and hope to have it back soon and going to the library really only gives me enough time to check my email. In this time though I have not been wasting a minute. I have been reading like a mad woman and I am finding myself getting more empowered and getting more knowledge then I could have ever thought of. Here is a list of all the books I have read in the last month.
1. Spiritual Midwifery By Ina May Gaskins
2. Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth By Henci Goer
3. The VBAC companion By Korte, Diana.
4. Gentle Birth choices Video
5. The birth partner : everything you need to know to help a woman through childbirth By Penny Simkin.
6. Your pregnancy and Birth By The American College Of OB/GYN (Little note: Gag! Don't recommend this book at ALL!! It was the worst pregnancy and birth book I have ever read!)
And I just finished
7. Born In The USA By Marsden Wagner, M.D., M.S.
I am still reading Birthing from within and love it so far and some Lamaze books. I hope to be able to post tomorrow more about Born In The USA as is was such an eye opening book, and was very refreshing in that an OB!!! wrote it and is saying what we all have been saying about birth all along! That Midwives need to be the primary care provider in low risk pregnancies! Gotta love this OB and I never in my life thought I would say that!

2 comments:

Barbara Harper said...

Congratulations on your birth book marathon. If you are in Portland, you may want to come down to Wilsonville and take advantage of the free Resource Library of Waterbirth International.
You can add a few favorites of mine, like:
Parenting from the Inside Out by Daniel Siegel
Birth Without Violence (an old standard) by Frederick Leboyer
Babies Remember Birth by Dr. David Chamberlain
Miraculous World of the Unborn Baby by Nikki Bradford
Women Giving Birth by Astrid Limburg
Oh, you may as well add the companion book to Gentle Birth Choices video - I wrote the book first, then produced the video/DVD.
My other favorite DVD is Birth Into Being: the Russian Waterbirth Experience - awesome and life changing for most people watching.

Marsden Wagner is not an obstetrician, but a pediatrician by training, which makes his scorn of the obstetric profession just as, if not more, powerful because he has seen the damage that has been done from the child's perspective. I found his book easy to read, but it sounds just like one of his speeches. He frequently gives talks in Eugene at the Midwifery Today conferences.
Enjoy all your reading and call if you want to browse through our extensive library.
Blessings,
Barbara Harper, RN,CLD,CCE,Midwife
Founder/Director
Waterbirth International
www.waterbirth.org
503-673-0026
We LOVE helping women get into Hot Water!!

4-monkeysmom said...

Hi to a fellow birth-book marathoner! I also read most of the books you mentioned before I had my first (of 3) VBAC. I'm sure you know of it, but I wanted to also recommend to you Ina May Gaskin's more recent book: Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. It is definitely my favorite book on birth. I just started a blog this past week, focused mainly on birth, babies and raising kids, which I hope will get some visitors soon. Best of luck to you!
Margo